Each time you level up in Forager, you are required to choose a skill to unlock out of the four different trees. These trees are Industry, Economy, Foraging and Magic.
Each tree has 16 skills in total, meaning by the end of the game, you will have unlocked all skills at Level 64. Instead of being able to unlock any skill you want, you will need to work your way to the edges of the tree.
Instead of focusing on one tree like you might in a Borderlands game, you should work on all trees at once so you can focus on unlocking the best skills. You can also use Spirit Orbs or Scrolls to level up quicker.
Below, you can see a complete list of Skills that can be unlocked in Forager, as well as their benefits and skill tree. I’ve provided a bit of insight into some of the most useful skills. If you want to check out some more guides for Forager, you can view our dedicated area here.
- Industry: Unlocks Steel, Glass and gives XP when building structures.
- Carpentry: Structures cost 25% less wood.
- Sewing: Unlocks Leather, Sewing stations work 25% faster.
- Masonry: Unlocks Braziers, structures cost 25% less stone.
- Smelting: Furnaces and Forges operate 25% faster.
- Textiles: Unlocks Basic Boots and Basic Gloves.
- Jewellery: Unlocks Basic Amulets, Gems sell for 25% more coins.
- Craftsmanship: Unlocks Royal Steel and Royal Clothing.
- Machinery: Unlocks the Flower Press.
- Ballistics: Unlocks Ballistas. Bows shoot 3 arrows.
- Drilling: Unlocks Offshore Drills. 25% chance to find coal whilst digging.
- Automation: Unlocks Mining Rods. Crafted items collect themselves.
- Physics: Unlocks Power Plants.
- Engineering: Unlocks EMP Grenades. Unlocks Droids. Structures work 25% faster.
- Manufacturing: Unlocks Factories. Structures have 20% chance to craft double items.
- Lasers: Mining Rods and Droids deal double damage.
The Industry tree is very important, with it allowing you to automate your farming in Forager. I recommend you don’t skip out on Textiles, as boots and gloves provide movement speed and attack speed bonuses. Unlock Jewellery to craft amulets, which provide 25% more resources, with the highest upgraded amulet (Demon Amulet) providing a 125% increase in resources.
Work towards Mining Rods, as they will farm an entire island and even adjoining islands automatically. Whilst Droids can be used to pickup items off the ground and manage fishing traps automatically.
- Economy: Instantly gain 40 coins.
- Storage: Unlocks Vaults.
- Coinage: Forges create 4 extra coins every time.
- Optics: Unlocks Lighthouses. Doubles light radius.
- Banking: Unlocks Banks.
- Trade: Unlocks Markets.
- Architecture: Structures get double HP and cost fewer materials to build.
- Treasury: Banks generate coins 50% faster when near other banks.
- Artistry: Crafted items are worth 25% more coins.
- Commerce: Throwing items away sells them instead.
- Logistics: Doubles the area of effect for Lighthouses, Mining Rods, Power Plants and Ballistas.
- Bargain: Reduces all coin costs by 15%.
- Supply: Markets sell more items.
- Gambling: Unlocks Slot Machine.
- Colonization: Lands are 30% cheaper to purchase.
- Capitalism: Gain XP when selling things.
The Economy tree doesn’t offer many game-changing skills. However you should still focus on unlocking some of the skills. Unlocking the Economy skill early gives 40 coins, which allows you to unlock a new land straight away. Vaults can provide storage slots for if your inventory is full. Building Banks will generate a passive income continuously in the background and multiple can be built at once, making it a great way to get coins. Compliment this skill with Treasury and they’ll generate coins 50% faster when next to each other.
Unlocking the Trade skill will provide you with Markets, which is probably the most important skill in this tree, allowing you to buy unobtainable items, and sell junk in your inventory. Multiple markets can be built with each one offering unique stock. Again, you can compliment this skill with Supply, which will make markets sell 6 items instead of 3. Markets massively help with filling up the museum, as they’ll often sell items such as food and potions.
- Foraging: Allows Beet and Wheat to spawn. Cotton spawns more often.
- Gathering: Gain 4 inventory slots. Gain 25% more XP from plants and crops.
- Woodcutting: Trees drop 50% more wood.
- Farming: Unlocks Windmill, Shovel and Bread.
- Fishing: Unlocks Cooked Fish. Fish Traps catch things 50% faster.
- Mining: Rocks drop 40% more minerals.
- Prospecting: Find gems 10% more often. Increases chance of finding rare items whilst digging by 30%.
- Hunting: Unlocks Short Bow & Arrows, as well as Cooked Meat.
- Cooking: Unlocks Cookpot, Sugar, Mayonnaise and Cheese.
- Agriculture: Unlocks Sprinkler. Crops & Animals provide 25% more resources.
- Voracity: Gain 20% more energy when eating food.
- Looting: Slain enemies drop coins.
- Geology: All rocks drop Coal.
- Deposit: Unlocks Quarry.
- Gluttony: Gain XP when eating things.
- Calciverous: Can eat Rocks to restore energy.
Foraging is a good tree to put down some priorities. You can unlock Gathering really early into the game, providing an extra 4 inventory slots. Head for the Farming skill, which will provide a shovel and allow you to start digging for artefacts and minerals. Mining and Prospecting both increase the chance of finding gems and rare items whilst mining and digging so it’s a good choice.
Some lands in the desert biome will require you to unlock Hunting, giving you a bow and arrow to kill mobs from a distance. Whilst Geology will help you with any coal problems you are facing. Most of the other skills can be left alone until you have left over skill points and all the best skills are out the way.
- Magic: Allows you to find Faeries.
- Inscription: Unlocks Inscription table.
- Brilliance: Earn 20% more XP.
- Combat: Unlocks Basic Sword. Increases dodge chance by 15%.
- Alchemy: Unlocks Cauldron.
- Novice Scrolls: Unlocks basic level scrolls.
- Expert Scrolls: Unlocks advanced level scrolls.
- Novice Potions: Unlocks basic level potions.
- Faith: Unlocks Shrines.
- Froststrike: Attacks have a 50% chance to freeze enemies. Unlocks spirit crystal.
- Renewal: Restore energy when killing enemies.
- Spellbind: Buffs last 50% longer. Gain XP when using potions and scrolls.
- Expert Potions: Unlocks advanced level potions.
- Reagency: Cauldrons and Inscription Tables work 50% faster.
- Summoning: Shrines recharge twice as fast. Buffs last 50% longer.
- Transmutation: Can use Cauldrons to transmute steel into gems.
I wouldn’t recommend going down this tree too early on in the game, as creating potions and scrolls will demand a lot of resources, maybe wait until around mid-game. However, you can still unlock Brilliance by putting two points into the tree, which will provide a 20% XP boost which is definitely needed. Combat will provide a sword, allowing you to one hit slimes and enemies on other biomes as long as you upgrade it.
The Faith skill can benefit you so much towards the mid to end game. It allows you to build shrines, which can give benefits such as all machines work 50% faster, surrounds you in dig spots allowing you to find artefacts and gems easily, sell items for twice the amount etc. So I do recommend working towards this skill. Using Spellbind and Summoning to compliment it makes it one of the best skills in the game, and helps you progress much faster.