In this list, we’re going to take a look at the Best Axe Enchantments available in Minecraft. These Enchantments can effect many things, from how fast you chop down trees to how fast you kill enemy mobs.
When you are Enchanting in Minecraft, the Enchantments you receive are completely random, so you won’t always get what you want. It might take a few re-rolls in the table. You can take off any previous Enchantments by placing the Axe in a grindstone.
For more Minecraft Guides and Best-of content including Enchantments, Seeds and Resource Packs, make sure to check out our dedicated area here!
How to Enchant an Axe
Once you have mined 2 Diamonds and 5 Obsidian, you will be able to craft an Enchanting Table in Minecraft. Drop it down and surround it in 15 Bookcases, otherwise you won’t be able to get the highest level enchantments (level 30).
With your axe and Lapis Lazuli on the left hand side, you can see enchantments on the right. You won’t always get the ones you want unfortunately.
If you are carrying Enchanted Books, you can put them on your Axe by combining them both in an Anvil. Here, you can also assign a custom name to the axe.
Best Axe Enchantments in Minecraft
Here’s a list of the Best Axe Enchantments in the order you should try and get them. Some benefit woodcutting, some benefit fighting:
- Efficiency (V): Efficiency increases the speed at which you chop trees, meaning you’ll collect wood much faster. It’s only available at an anvil for Diamond & Stone tools.
- Fortune (III): Fortune increases the amount and type of drops received when using an Axe. You will increase your drop rate of Saplings, Sticks and Apples.
- Silk Touch (I): When hitting a block with Silk Touch, it will drop the block instead of their usual item. For example, collecting actual Bookshelves instead of them breaking into books.
- Unbreaking (III): Increases the chance of the durability not dropping when using the axe in Minecraft. At max level, you can expect the Axe to last up to 43% longer.
- Mending (I): When collecting experience orbs, they will go to repairing the Axe instead of contributing to your overall level. Mending can’t be found at an Enchantment Table.
- Smite (V): Like Bane of Arthropods, Smite increases the amount of damage done to Undead mobs such as Skeletons, Zombies, Strays, Husks, Drowned and Zombie Pigmen.
- Bane of Arthropods (V): Increases the amount of damage you do to Arthropods in Minecraft, which includes Spiders, Bees, Silverfish and Endermites. This is a Treasure Enchantment, so can’t be found at an Enchantment Table.
- Sharpness (V): Adding Sharpness will increase the amount of damage done for melee attacks with the Axe.
- Chopping (III): This enchantment isn’t in the game yet, but it’s likely coming soon. It will increase the damage you deal against someone using a shield.
- Curse of Vanishing (I): When you die with an item carrying the Curse of Vanishing Enchantment, it will disappear from your inventory. There aren’t many reasons to want this one.
It’s best to try and get the Efficiency (V) Enchantment as this will make you collect wood almost instantly. Combined with Fortune (III), it could become a great method for collecting large amounts of Apples, Saplings and Sticks really fast in Minecraft.
Silk Touch (I) is always a must have, but maybe have it on a separate Axe. It will allow you to collect blocks such as Ice, Beehives, Bookshelves, Campfires, Glass, Glowstone Blocks, Leaves and more. Using Unbreaking (III) will help your Axe last longer if you need it to, add Mending (I) later to have the Axe slowly repair itself as you find experience.
Lastly, you can look towards other enchantments if you want to use your Axe for Combat. Bane of Arthropods (V) and Smite (V) both increase the damage dealt to certain types of mods, whilst Sharpness (V) increases your damage in general.
How to Get Treasure Enchantments
Treasure Enchantments are Minecraft Enchantments that can’t be received from an Enchanting Table. Instead, you need to find them as a Book, where you can then combine it with your tool or armor item manually. Some Enchantments that are like this for the Axe are Mending, Bane of Arthropods and Efficiency.
There are 3 ways to obtain them: Finding them inside loot chests, trading them with villagers or finding them whilst fishing. For loot chests, these are chests that spawn in the game world in locations such as Villagers, Temples and Dungeons. There is a small chance of them spawning in these chests.
Trading with a Librarian Villager is another way to obtain Treasure Enchantments. As you level up the Librarian, they will sell more books to you at once. Finally, there is a small chance to obtain them whilst using the Fishing Rod, especially if you’re using the ‘Luck of the Sea’ Enchantment.