In this guide, we’re going to take a look at how to enchant the fishing rod in Minecraft, as well as what the best enchantments actually are. There are 5 enchantments available, with 1 of them being a curse (the Curse of Vanishing).
When you use an Enchantment Table, the enchantments received are random, so you might need to give it a few tries. You can strip off any previous enchantments by placing the Fishing Rod into a Grindstone.
Below, you can read about the Fishing Rod and its Enchantments. For more Minecraft Guides & Best-of lists including Seeds and Texture Packs, make sure to check out our dedicated area here!
How to Enchant the Fishing Rod in Minecraft
Once you have 2 Diamonds and 5 Obsidian, you will be able to craft an Enchanting Table. Surround this with at least 15 Bookcases to unlock the highest level enchantments (Level 30, which is what your player must also be). Inside, you will be able to see what Enchantment you will get at the cost of Levels and Lapis Lazuli.
If you are carrying Enchanted Books which you might have found or bought from Villagers, they can be attached to the fishing rod inside of an Anvil. Place them in each slot, and name your rod if you wish.
Best Enchantments for the Fishing Rod
- Luck of the Sea (III): This Enchantment increases your luck whilst fishing. For each level of Luck of the Sea, your chances of obtaining ‘Treasure Catches’ are increased by around 2% per level, for a maximum of 6%. Treasure Catches include items like Enchanted Books, Bows, Saddles and Name Tags.
- Lure (III): When using the Lure Enchantment, the amount of time that you have to wait between catching fish is reduced. It’s reduced by around 5 seconds per level, so at level 3, you will be catching fish almost instantly.
- Unbreaking (III): Unbreaking is an Enchantment available for most armor and tools in Minecraft. It reduces the chance of an item losing durability when it’s used, making a fishing rod last around 43% longer with Unbreaking III.
- Mending (I): Mending is a Treasure Enchantment, meaning you can’t get it from the Enchantment Table. When using Mending, experience orbs will repair your fishing rod instead of contributing to your overall level.
- Curse of Vanishing (I): There really isn’t many reasons you’d want to own this Enchantment, other than to possibly troll any players on your server. Curse of Vanishing will cause any item it’s bound on to disappear when dying.
It’s quite hard to know which Enchantments to prioritize when it comes to the Fishing Rod in Minecraft. If possible, you should try and go for Unbreaking, especially if you’re already carrying some good Enchantments as you don’t want the rod to break and to lose them. Using the Mending Enchantment also works, as you will receive experience orbs for doing a successful reel.
If you’re wanting a constant source of food that doesn’t require farming, then using Lure is going to be your best choice. You’ll catch fish much faster. Where as if you’re wanting to get some Treasure Drops instead like Enchanted Books or Saddles, then you should pick Luck of the Sea.
How to Get Mending
Mending will repair any tool you’re currently holding when you collect experience orbs. However this will stop the experience contributing to your overall level. It’s one of the most useful Enchantments in Minecraft.
It can’t be obtained from an Enchantment Table. Instead, you need to find it. There’s a few ways to do so. Using the ‘Luck of the Sea’ Enchantment, your chances of finding Enchanted Books whilst fishing is increased dramatically, which will increase your chances of finding Mending.
There’s also a chance for it to spawn inside loot chests. These are just chests which spawn naturally in the game world, whether it be in Villages, Temples or Dungeons. Finally, you can trade with Librarian Villagers, who sell Enchanted Books and have a chance of offering Mending for Emeralds.