One of the first items that you’ll likely want to enchant in Minecraft is going to be your Pickaxe. It will not only allow you to mine resources much faster, but to also have a chance of getting more minerals per ore depending on your enchantment.
For example, you might bee able to get up to 4 diamonds per block instead of the usual 1. We’re going to talk about some of the best enchantments available for the Pickaxe in this list.
However, you should note that what enchantments you receive are completely random, and it might take a few attempts to get what you want. It’s not recommended to start enchanting until you are at least level 30.
Below, you can see all of the current enchantments available for the Picaxe in Minecraft as well as what they do. For more Minecraft Guides and Best-of content, check out our dedicated Minecraft area here!
The Best Pickaxe Enchantments
Currently, there are 6 different enchantments available for the pickaxe in Minecraft. However, only 4 of these can be acquired from the enchanting table. Mending and Curse of Vanishing need to be found/traded to be applied to the pickaxe.
- Efficiency (V): Increases mining speed, allowing you to harvest minerals and stone faster.
- Fortune (III): Increases some block drops, for example, instead of receiving 1 diamond per block, it’s possibly to receive 4 diamonds with Fortune III.
- Silk Touch (I): Mined blocks drop themselves.
- Unbreaking (III): Increases item durability.
- Mending (I): Experience orbs will repair your pickaxe instead of levelling up your Minecraft character. Very useful if you have a pickaxe you want to keep using.
- Curse of Vanishing (I): If you have Curse of Vanishing applied to a pickaxe, it will be destroyed upon death, making it unrecoverable.
Hovering over an Enchantment in the enchanting table will give you a preview of one enchantment you will receive. On the above screenshot, you can see that I am guaranteed to get Efficiency IV on the pickaxe at least.
As previously mentioned, the enchantments you receive are completely random. Enchanting at Level 30 gives you the best chances of receiving rare and more powerful enchantments. You will also require some Lapis Lazuli.
Firstly, Efficiency is a great enchantment to get. It will massively increase your mining speed, allowing you to strip mine and dig in caves much faster. There are a total of 4 Efficiency levels, with each one offering a higher mining speed.
Fortune is another must-have enchantment. At Fortune III, you will have a chance to multiple drops by 2, 3, or 4. What this means is that for every diamond you mine, you can receive up to 4 instead. It’s definitely a must have.
If you have a great pickaxe, maybe using the enchantments above, you might also want Unbreaking. All this does is increase the durability of your pickaxe meaning it will last much longer whilst mining. It also works well with Mending, which will repair the pickaxe using experience orbs dropped from mobs and ores.