OpenSubtitles for Kodi
OpenSubtitles are one of the subtitle services provided in Kodi which are pretty reliable for high quality, English subtitles. However a relevantly recent change which is becoming more and more familiar throughout Kodi is that you now have to login to use the service.
The process of registering an account and logging in is completely worth it, as in my opinion, OpenSubtitles is the best source of subtitles that exist for Kodi. A lot of other guides are saying there is a work around, but it seems that is incorrect, so lets just do it properly.
OpenSubtitles Kodi Setup instructions
If the instructions below become confusing at any point, there are screenshots below going through the process. If not, leave a comment below and we’ll respond ASAP.
- Register a new account on OpenSubtitles here.
- Go to your email and confirm the registration
- Open Kodi and go into your settings
- Select “Player Settings”, and head to the Language section
- Click “Default TV Show service” and choose OpenSubtitles
- Head back to the Home screen and select “Addons”
- Go into “My Addons” and then into “Subtitles”, select OpenSubtitles.org
- Press Configure and input the login information you created previously
- Done, you will no longer get the login prompt!
Guide with pictures
Start by registering an account on OpenSubtitles which you can do here, then you’ll have to confirm the email.
Go into your settings, by clicking the cog in the top centre on the home screen
Then go into “Player Settings”, as highlighted above
Under Language, select “Default TV Show Service”, if you can’t see this, click the little cog in the bottom left and change it to Expert.
Click “Get more…” unless OpenSubtitles is already downloaded. If it is, it will already be on the screen above.
Choose OpenSubtitles.org to install it, then go back to the home screen
Go into your Add-ons section
Then under “My add-ons”, select Subtitles
The next screen will have your installed subtitle services, select OpenSubtitles.org and press “Configure”. Now enter the details that we created previously. Done, you can now download subtitles from OpenSubtitles without the prompt constantly showing up.